Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Kraken

 The Kraken was known in many cultures, but probably most notably in Norse Mythology, and even cited in some Scientific zoological books. One of the myths was that it would look like an island that would move or 
disappear, and that it fed on ships, whales and men. I really drew on the idea that it looked like an island. Instead of making it look like the traditional octopus, I decided that it should have a shell, because it would make more sense as an island. If you can zoom in on my sketches and notes, you will learn more about the Kraken.
   
I tried to do this in color... I like it... but I think it loses some of its charm.

7 comments:

  1. Beautifully done, Mark! Really fun to explore the drawing in detail this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!! Your personal style is really beginning to crystallize. I love it! On a side note... WHERE IS EVERYBODY ELSE'S ART!?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, yeaah... EVERYONE ELSE wussed out this week! U must have no been able to check email or something. ... We decided to extend this challenge until next friday. So u will get the chance to do this one arman. I just find it funny that im the only one who completed this week and i didnt even vote for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually LOVE the color version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a wonderful interpretation of the myth, and an awesome drawing. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    This is great! Is it possible to buy a print of this or obtain a high quality image file somehow?

    ReplyDelete